Sunday, February 24, 2008

Reflections from the Field



Today as I sat on my terrace enjoying a cup of coffee, I was enjoying the birds singing in the palm trees, with the blue sky above and ocean to my back, thinking how peaceful this is--and hoping that I will never take this place for granted. It is easy to do so, after being here in Tenerife for almost a year, the newness of paradise becomes lost in the reality of everyday life with its challenges, problems, and day to day routine.

Of course, this isn't really paradise, but the beauty that God has placed all around us is a reminder of how sweet heaven is going to be. I miss my family back in the states and in Africa, not being able to hold my grandchildren, and knowing that they will grow up without really "knowing" me or being able to have the close relationship with them that is built by spending time together. My biggest consolation is knowing that someday they will have the heritage of saying they came from a family of missionaries, where they were taught the importance of sacrificing one's own personal desires for the necessity to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ to others in a foreign land, so they too, may have the opportunity to come to the same saving knowledge of our Lord and Saviour, as we endeavor to obey our Lord's command--
"Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."
We are doing our best to do just that, here in our "corner" of the world. As we are starting to feel a little more at home here in the Canary Islands, we are exploring various ways to make a difference here, one step at a time, for we know that this is not going to be an easy task. The process of building a work here will be slow, and we are just in the beginning stages, and there is much work to be done as we try to plow up the ground, so to speak.

1 comment:

Sara N. Smith said...

Beautiful blog!
I so appreciated your post. I especially loved what you said about your children and grandchildren's heritage: they were taught the importance of sacrificing one's own personal desires for the necessity to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. That teaching is often not heard but is of great importance!
Keep up the great work! Blessings!