Tuesday, March 18, 2008

10 Reasons I don't Drive in the Canary Islands

1. I can't legally drive here with my American license.
2. In order to get a Spanish driver's license, I have to go to a six week driving school, in addition to a week of practice in the car at a total cost of somewhere around $800--if I pass the first or second time, if not, it will cost more. Doug spent around $1500 getting his license.
3. Passing the driving test is not as easy as you would think, even though we both have over 30 years of driving experience in the states.
4. Driving in the bigger cities and towns can be confusing--too many unmarked one way streets, stop signs and yield signs are painted on the street and not always posted where you can easily see them until it is too late.
5. Many streets are too narrow, and with cars parked on them you sometimes question if you will fit.
6. Parking is a nightmare. Even if I could drive into town, I wouldn't be able to find a place to park, so it is easier to just have Doug drop me off. Also, I don't like to parallel park.
7. Roads are too steep--and the cars are not automatic--they are stick shift and I don't like the feeling of rolling back when stopped and going into first gear. I also don't like the curvy mountainous roads.
8. I don't like it when people honk at you in another language. I can't understand what I am doing wrong!
9. I really don't have anywhere to go--there are no Walmarts or thrift stores in the Canary Islands.
10. Even if I had somewhere to go, I don't have any money to spend, so it is saving my husband a ton of money.

1 comment:

simplysanctified said...

That was funny - what a dilemma I would have! :) I love driving!