Saturday, April 19, 2008

What a Day that Will Be

This morning as I laid in bed, I was awakened by a little bird singing sweetly. It reminded me of the day when our family stood around the graveside for our little son, Jonathan, who died at 20 weeks in the womb, and as we were singing a hymn, a little bird started singing in the tree next to us. It was as if an angel had been sent by the Lord to remind us that Jonathan was in heaven, and it was such a special moment for me.

This week has been a sad week in some ways for me, as I received news from the states that made my heart sink. We have been praying for a little six year old girl, Anna Matthews, whose parents are missionaries in Brazil. She was badly burned over 90% of her body. For 13 days we have been praying for her, receiving email updates with hopes that she would pull through this ordeal. But the Lord chose to take her to heaven, and my heart goes out to this missionary family. They have maintained such a strong testimony, saying that many people have heard the gospel as a result, and I am sure that some will be saved. I think of my five year old daughter, and how I would feel if this would happen to us. It reminds me again just how much we need to pray for our missionaries and each other.

The second notice was about a dear pastor friend of ours, Pastor Mike Adams, of Charity Baptist Church in Kent, Ohio, who lost his beloved wife of 23 years--Renea. She had experienced some severe health problems over the past few years due to complications from diabetes. She was only 42 years old, and has two beautiful children, Shane and Christina. I remember visiting their church on deputation, and how much I enjoyed talking with Christina. They are such a loving family, and my heart aches for them as I think of how much they will miss their wife and mother.
I am comforted by the hymn "What a Day That Will Be." The words ...there is coming a day, when no heartache shall come, no more clouds in the sky, no more tears to dim the eye...all is peace forevermore, on that happy golden shore...what a day, glorious day that will be. There'll be no sorrow there, no more burdens to bear, no more sickness, no pain, and no more parting over there. And forever I will be with the One who died for me, what a day, glorious day, that will be! Oh yes, what a day that will be. Heaven is so much sweeter when you have loved ones sent on before, waiting to greet us there.

No comments: