Saturday, June 7, 2008

Saying Goodbye to an Old Friend




When we moved to the Canary Islands we debated over whether or not to bring the old piano--we knew we were moving from a house to an apartment, but Jenny couldn't bear to part with it. Not that it is such a pretty or expensive piano, but it is special--we purchased it at an auction for $200; it was a school piano and has a great tone. All of my children learned to play on it. When we moved here, they put the piano on a crane to get it in our apartment. I will never forget that day.




I knew it would only be a matter of time until we would have to say goodbye to our piano--you see, playing the piano when you live in an apartment complex doesn't exactly make your neighbors happy. Just because we enjoy hearing Hannah, Jenny, and Rebekah practice several hours a day doesn't mean our neighbors do! Imagine that!




We do try to be good neighbors and maintain a good testimony with them but I guess baking cakes and cookies for them doesn't make up for our noise. Apparently, when they constructed the building they didn't put any sound proofing materials in the floors or ceilings, so according to our neighbor below, it sounds as if we are playing the piano in their apartment. They were very polite and reluctant to say anything, but I am glad they said something--I don't want to be the scourge of the entire neighborhood. Fortunately we purchased a digital piano with headphones when we lived in the states so we have an alternative, but I will miss hearing the beautiful selections played by my daughters, and it also makes it a little more difficult to keep track of how long the younger ones practice!

2 comments:

crearte-tv said...

THE PHRASE THAT I DRAW ATTENTION OF ITS HISTORY MORE IS THE ONE THAT SAYS: " WE TRY TO GIVE a GOOD TESTIMONIO". ALTHOUGH IT IS CERTAIN THAT THE ACTIONS SPEAK MORE THAN THE WORDS I WANT TO EXPRESS MY SOLIDARITY AND MY ORATIONS TO THEM IN EACH MISSION THAT THEY UNDERTAKE AND THAT GOD ALWAYS OF THE WISDOM TO LEAVE A GOOD TESTIMONY THEM.

The Anderson Family said...

It must be sad to have to say goodbye to your favorite piano; I dread the day I have to say goodbye to mine. =( --Amanda