Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Getting the Job Done

When I was about six years old, my dad would tell me to clean up my room--it would be such a mess because I had shoved all my clothes and junk in the closet until you couldn't shut the door anymore. I took one look at the clutter, and would just sit down in front of the closet, and cry.
About an hour later my dad would come and check on me to see if I had made any progress, and I would still be sitting there in tears. The task seemed overwhelming. I didn't know where to start.

I was thinking about that today as I was going downstairs to tackle the garage--everything from moving that we didn't know what to do with ended up down there. The rest of the house is pretty much in order, but the garage still has a way to go. Part of me just wants to take one look at the disorder, go back upstairs and forget about it. Let someone else deal with it. Do I really want to get hot and sweaty again--I have already worked so hard--the lazy part of me is saying "do it later," while the other part of me says "you will be glad you did it once you get going."

As a little girl trying to clean my room, one of my older sisters would come along and start showing me where to put things, digging in and helping me to get the job done. Once I got going I learned to actually enjoy working.

The Christian life is somewhat similar--sometimes the task seems overwhelming and we don't know where to start. How can I being one person make a difference? By God's grace, with His strength and the power of teamwork, we can do the job--but we have to start somewhere. Little by little we do what we can, and try not to get discouraged. If we all do something, we can get the job done.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I always look at the big picture, where my husband encourages me to look at one small thing at a time. What a blessing it is when someone comes alongside you to help.

Wonderfully encouraging post!

The Anderson Family said...

Very encouraging, as Victoria said! --Amanda