Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back to School, Already?






I read where school has already begun in some places in the U.S., and next week my own daughters will be heading back to college as well. Like most of us, I am asking, where did the summer go?

My internal calendar is linked to the seasons. Going back to school meant one last backyard barbeque on Labor Day weekend, and getting all your back to school supplies and clothes. I remember my mom taking all of us to JC Penney to buy shoes. We each got one pair of school shoes, and a pair of gym shoes. Usually they were black and white saddle oxfords, and they matched everything, and the gym shoes were simple white canvas Converse or Keds. I remember my parents paying somewhere around $200-$300 just for shoes for the six of us kids--which back then was a lot of money! Business was a little slower in August in the flower shop--my mom attributed it to the fact that parents were spending all their money on back to school necessities. There weren't any Walmart's back then either!

Ever since we came to the Canary Islands, my internal calendar is out of sync because here in Tenerife, we experience what they call "eternal spring." Average year-round daily temperatures are in the 70's. Sounds pretty appealing, doesn't it? I have to admit, the climate is very pleasant, and I don't miss winter too much--I could handle one month of it as long as there was some pretty snow to look at.
I actually have to stop and think what month it is sometimes. I miss the colors of fall, decorating with pumpkins, Indian corn, and gourds, and celebrating Thanksgiving with family. And there is something comforting and nostalgic about sitting in front of a fireplace on a cold winter day, drinking a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, longing for spring. I even miss rainy days sometimes! What about the Fourth of July? Just another day in summer here--no fireworks.

I am not complaining though. When I get homesick for a fall day, I put a golden autumn landscape on my computer's screen saver and reminisce of my homeland--and sometime in December I change it to a snowy landscape. Funny though, when we lived in Rochester, New York, during the long, dreary winter months I had a picture of a tropical island on my screen saver! We always seem to long for what we don't have, don't we?

3 comments:

Victoria said...

I, too, have great memories of going out shopping for school supplies and the new "first day of school outfit." I wonder what my kids will remember?

Jenna said...

I have to say that I really miss the seasons, too.

Carolee's Corner Canary Islands said...

I am surprised how much Rebekah and Leanna still look forward to school starting, even being "homeschooled." Today Rebekah asked me is she could start 3 days early!

Maybe as home school moms we should try to make it a special event somehow. Even a new box of crayons, or markers, or some special school supply is always fun.