Monday, August 11, 2008

Wishing I Could Be There

There are times when living in a foreign country as a missionary, I want to jump on an airplane and be in the states. Today is one of those days. I want to be in Dayton, Ohio--celebrating my dad's 75th birthday with him and my family. I miss the days of backyard picnics, and long to be there--or to have another breakfast or lunch at Bob Evans with my dad.

Or take my mother shopping at Walmart, and go through the drive through at Wendy's--sometimes we would laugh so hard until we cried. Just the simple things we used to do together. Those are the memories I will always cherish.

The past few days have been difficult for me. Hannah and Jenny are getting ready to fly back to Indiana, and I am already dreading the day we go to the airport, and I have to say goodbye, again. I am trying to prepare myself spiritually and emotionally. Life is full of separations, and you think I would be used to it by now. It doesn't get any easier. My heart is torn. I know that we are doing the Lord's work, and for the sake of the gospel we are here, but in my heart I want to be with the ones I love the most.

The Lord spoke to my heart when I read the other day, "But we, brethren, being taken from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavored the more abundantly to see your face with great desire." I Thessalonians 2: 17

We may be separated physically, but never in our hearts.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Praying for you!

Little Family said...

I didn't know you had a blog. How great. Now I can really keep up with things. Sorry the last few days have been tough. I remember being overseas and having those days of missing home. But know that I am so thankful that you are following God's calling and being a light to those in darkness.

Carolee's Corner Canary Islands said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Today I felt much better--and I know it is the Lord's grace.

Jenna said...

I don't think we will ever get used to seperations! I can't wait until Heaven when we won't have them anymore!