Friday, August 29, 2008

How Do They Do It?


Jenny called the other day to tell me her schedule for the Fall semester. Wow, I hope she has time to breathe!! She is taking 18 credit hours. Part of this includes playing piano for the college choir and ensemble, and also piano lessons, which means at least six hours of piano practice a week. On Saturdays and Sundays she will be involved in evangelism outreach, and working on a bus route. She will also be traveling some Wednesdays and weekends with the college ensemble. Hannah has a similar schedule, and plays in the college orchestra.

One thing they hopefully will learn at Fairhaven is time management. The day begins at 6:30 am for room check (I am sure many girls get up earlier than this for devotions and to make sure they get their morning shower). Breakfast is at 7, and on some days choir practice is at 7:30--I don't know about you, but I can hardly talk at that time in the morning, let alone sing! Classes start at 8 and usually go anywhere from 12-2 depending on their schedule. They don't have classes on Wednesday, but that time slot is quickly filled with all the other demands and assignments they have. They also have cleaning assignments, daily devotions, and prayer time in the dorm, and most students work part time jobs to help pay for their expenses. Lights go out at 11 pm.

I remember about 12 years ago when Doug decided to complete his Bachelor's degree. He was working a full time job, had a ministry in a youth detention center a few days a week, and was carrying a full load of classes--not to mention being the father of 4 (this was pre-Rebekah and Leanna days). It seemed like an impossible task, but somehow he made it. As a result, he was able to become a Spanish teacher for the Christian school my kids attended, and I am sure it has helped in the ministry we are in as he majored in Spanish.

My life is not nearly as busy as it was back then, and I marvel how we ever made it through, but somehow we did. I look at Jenny and Hannah and hope they don't get overwhelmed, and at times they do...but they are young and energetic. Certainly they will have their work cut out for them. They will need God's strength and encouragement along the way.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

When I was taking 12 credit hours at UBI it seemed like a lot and that was only at night!

simplysanctified said...

Wow - that is a very busy schedule for both of them. I'm sure the Lord will give them much needed grace and strength!

kathimic said...

I have never had to send my child across the ocean to go to school, so from one mother's heart to another I just want you to know that if the girl's need anything they can come to me whenever. I will keep an eye out for them here at Fairhaven. I am very happy to have my piano player back in s.s.!
Sincerely,
Kathi Hughes

Carolee's Corner Canary Islands said...

Thanks for the encouraging works, Mrs. Hughes. I know Jenny was happy to be working with you again this year. It helps me to know that there are loving people over there watching out for them--that means so much.