Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Attitude of Gratitude

This morning as I went into the kitchen and looked at the stack of dishes piled in the sink, I was tempted to think--I just did a sink load of dishes before we went to bed--what happened? But, today being Thanksgiving--and my thoughts focused on giving thanks (which for the Christian, should be our daily attitude, not just on special days the world sets aside for such a thing), I was reminded to be thankful even for the full sink of dishes. After all, a sink full of dishes represents a family that has plenty of food to eat.

I began to ponder all the other unpleasant tasks I face each day, and how I view them. Being thankful for cleaning the bathrooms--and that we have a home with indoor plumbing and hot water. And for all the dirty clothes in the hamper--we have clothes to wear, to keep us warm, and I am blessed to have a washing machine and dryer, not to mention a nice house to live in, and a car for transportation--much more than most in the world can boast.

Looking back, I am thankful for every dirty diaper I ever changed, all the toys scattered around the house, and fingerprints on the walls. Now I am reaping the benefits of all the time invested in motherhood. Could you imagine a home without the giggles and laughter of little ones--even though at times our patience is tried.

I am thankful for a husband who practices what he preaches. Even though it isn't always easy to be married-- it is a blessing to have a husband who is my best friend, and I know he truly loves me for who I am.

I am thankful for having children and grandchildren scattered around the globe, even though I would love to be with them today. It gives me great satisfaction knowing that the Lord is answering my prayers, that all of our children would be serving Him.

Most of all, I am thankful for a loving God and Saviour, who gave His life so that I could be forgiven of my sin, and be given a new life in Christ. With God in our life, we have everything!

3 comments:

Arianna said...

That is so true....we need to give thanks for everything, even the stuff we dislike. Living in Romania has made me so much more thankful for things we took for granted in America. The mission field really opens your eyes, doesn't it?
I like your new kitchen, and all of the pictures! Our kitchen is new, too, of course, so I felt extra thankful this year to have a warm kitchen to bake and cook in. Instead of our old one, which you can see your breath in! God is sooo good.
And yum, the pumpkin pie sounds good. We made pumpkin pie and pumpkin rolls for Thanksgiving and today. But we had some canned pumpkin from the states, so it wasn't so 'home made' as yours. LOL. OK, this is a really long comment! Sorry =0

Carolee's Corner Canary Islands said...

Don't apologize, I love your comments! I am so happy for you all, having your new kitchen. You all did a great job, and the house is really coming along nicely.

karim said...

Very thoughtfull post on gratitude. It should be very much helpfull

Thanks,
Karim - Mind Power