Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


Hard to believe that this is our second Thanksgiving in the Canary Islands, and we are thankful for all the Lord has done in our lives, and the blessing of being able to serve him here in Tenerife.

Today was a busy day--Doug traveled with a fellow missionary, Rudy Thomas (he is from Germany), and another church member, to the island of La Palma. Doug called me this afternoon and told me it was a fruitful day so far. Rudy was able to counsel with a woman who attends a church over there, and she accepted the Lord as her Saviour.

I took advantage of the "free" day to finish hanging the wallpaper and border in my kitchen. I ordered the border from the states, and found a plain pattern here in Santa Cruz to match for the bottom of the wall. I absolutely love it! My kitchen looks so much brighter and cheerful. It was really easy to put up, for which I am thankful--as I get older these projects aren't as easy as they used to be. I am sure I will need some ibuprofen tonight when I go to bed!

After finishing the wallpaper, I had to make the homemade pumpkin pie that I promised Rebekah. I say home made--but actually that is the only kind you could get here anyway since there is no such thing as pumpkin pie here! We cooked the pumpkin (shhh-- don't tell Rebekah but I also used some sweet potatoes). I have never seen a whole pumpkin here, but I imagine if I looked in the farmer's markets I could probably find one. They sell pumpkin in the grocery stores in sections--the Canary people buy it to cut up and put in their famous "Puchero Canario" (stew) and it has green skin, not orange .

True to tradition, they already cut into the pie--even though it was still warm! I tried to tell them it will taste better the next day, but no one ever wants to wait. That is why I always make two! Doug said it was one of the best I have made in a long time (well, it has been a long time--this is the first pumpkin pie I ever made since we have been in the CIs).

To all of our friends and family, we wish you a very blessed Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

the reynolds said...

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! This time of year and the miles that separate us, make us truly thankful for each other and our church body!

Gail R.

Oh - and congratulations on your new grandson!

Rosebud said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Jenna said...

Good job on makin the homemade pumpkin pie! I poured mine right out of the can ,but I did labor over my homemade crust so at least I get a little credit :) Haha!