Saturday, December 20, 2008

Odds and Ends

This is a mixture of thoughts, so I named it "Odds and Ends." Actually, that was the name of the newspaper column my Grandmother Dorothy used to write in the Port Charlotte, Florida local newspaper every week. She was an interesting person--and was influential in starting the first library in our home town, New Lebanon, Ohio, and was very active in community affairs.

Thinking of her, one of the things I remember most about her was how she used to tell me about surviving the Great Depression. She was raising her family during that time, and my grandfather was operating a greenhouse/nursery business and they all pulled together to stay afloat during those tough economical times.

Living through something like that certainly would leave an impression on you, so it is no wonder she used to tell us how she saved money by purchasing her clothes at the Goodwill (back then we thought it was kind of funny that she did that--but it is something that I have done myself throughout the years). She rarely threw something away that might be useful, from empty bread bags, reusing aluminum foil, saving rubber bands, etc. We used to laugh at her frugal ways at times, but she was very smart with her money and was able to retire and have a comfortable living.

Today I had to laugh when my husband came back from taking out the trash to the dumpster at the end of our street. In a hurry as always, as he was running late for a church activity, I was surprised when I heard his car pull up after he had just left a few minutes before.

He brought back a mattress that was sitting outside the dumpster. My first thought was GROSS! Without even looking at it, I didn't want it in our garage because I could just imagine cockroaches coming out of it. I could hear him unloading it, telling the girls how it was brand new, still in the plastic..... and then I heard Leanna excitingly chime in, "Yea, it looks brand new." At that point I knew it must be OK if it met the girls approval (they must think like Mom).

It had only been sitting out there for a day--but Doug was right, it was BRAND NEW! It was still in the factory plastic. The only thing that I can think of is that the man down the street drives a delivery truck for a very ritzy department store here in Tenerife, and perhaps he had this on his truck and for some reason needed to get rid of it.

Anyway, it will be a very nice Christmas present for a couple in our church who are in need--a brand new matrimonial size mattress!

1 comment:

Ginger said...

What a blessing, Rochester finally had a good storm yesterday with a promise of another good one tomorrow.

Ginger Barber