Monday, January 19, 2009

Typical Day in My Life

As we visited churches in the states on deputation, sometimes people would ask me questions like, what does a missionary do, or what is your life like as a missionary? Some have the idea that being a missionary sounds so exciting, so adventurous, etc. Well, at times it is a bit of an adventure, but most of the time I am just doing the same thing that stay at home moms do everywhere--but on foreign soil, which has its own set of challenges depending where you are called.

My days are pretty routine, and go something like this--Monday-Friday:

7-9:30 am: Personal quiet time, Bible reading, shower/get ready for the day. Make breakfast, do dishes, throw a load of laundry in the machine, etc.

9: 30 Bible class

10:00 Composition

10:30 Phonics

11:30 Handwriting and Reading

12:30 Lunch

1:00 Spelling

1:30--2:30 Math

2:30--3:00 History or Science

After school, for the next few hours the girls practice piano, help around the house, and play. I clean up some more around the house, and on some days we have piano lessons, dr. appts. etc. or go grocery shopping. I start making dinner around 4:30 or 5.

Dinner can vary anywhere from 6-7 pm depending on Doug's schedule. He does most of his ministry work in the morning and afternoon, but also has visits to make in the evening because that is when people are home from work. If he isn't out evangelizing or giving studies/counseling church people, then he is studying for his sermons for Sunday and Wednesday. One afternoon week he tries to help me get things done around the house, or we may go on a drive just so I can get out of the house.

After things are cleaned up from dinner, I usually am on the computer checking email, writing or calling my girls at college. Since they are six hours behind, I have to wait until evening to talk to them. We also like to play games with Leanna and Rebekah. The girls take a bath and get ready for bed.

Devotions as a family are usually around 8:30 or 9 pm, and Leanna usually falls asleep on the couch, so we carry her up to bed. If we are not sleepy yet, we stay up some more, reading, watch an Andy Griffith, or Creation DVD--after that we are ready to go to bed so we can get up and do it all again!

3 comments:

the reynolds said...

Thanks for a peek into your day!

Christina J. Ford said...

wow sounds like you are very organized, and busy. I found that when i was at school it was best to plan out every day and stick to it. Sounds like that is what you do too! hope everyone is doing well!

Jenna said...

Great schedule! I love how organized you are...I envy people like you. Although I have a routine, I wish that I was stuck to it a little more.
Thanks for letting us see what life is like for you!