Sunday, March 8, 2009

Never Take Cool Whip for Granted


Today the topic of American food came up at our Sunday dinner. We often discuss what we like, what we don't like about the food here in the islands, and what we miss from the states. Today we were eating homemade minestrone soup and a friend at church gave us some sweetened gofio to try. It is a staple here in the Canary Islands--roasted grains such as wheat, corn, and barley are ground into flour and then added to many different foods, from baby formula, stew, even ice cream. Ours was molded into a loaf with raisins, almonds, and honey, and is very moist and dense. It is something you have to acquire a taste for, I suppose.

"When we get to the states, I am going to Denny's, and get me a big, fat, juicy cheeseburger, french fries, and a chocolate milk shake," stated my husband.

Rebekah wants Perry's Panda Paw ice cream.

And Leanna?

"I want that white stuff that comes in a plastic bowl."

I was a bit puzzled.

"You know, it is like whipped cream, but it isn't?" she said.

Cool whip? I asked.

"Yea, cool whip!"

Who would have ever guessed she would remember cool whip from the states!

4 comments:

Rosebud said...

Hmmm, that's interesting! How long is it since you were here?

Jenna said...

Wow, that's funny that she remembered that! Mr. S's meal sounds really good!! :)

Carolee's Corner Canary Islands said...

We have been here for about two years now, so she was about 4 when we left the states.

arielle said...

I get random craving from the states too!! Sometimes they are so out of the blue I have no idea why they come to mind. :) And the funny thing is that a lot of the times its something that I never even really ate much in the states!! :)