Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Those Were the Days

I was flipping through some photos of the 1950 era, and like they say "you've come a long way baby!" Men wore suits, ties, and a hat when going out, and ladies dressed up. I remember my Grandma getting dressed up just to go to the grocery store.

The other day when we went to pick up Jenny at the airport, the girls and I put on nice outfits to greet her, afterall, we hadn't seen her for a year and a half, so we wanted to make it a special occasion. While we were waiting at the airport, I noticed how sloppy and casual people have become. I get tired of looking at faded, ripped up jeans, tight t-shirts that don't cover what they are supposed to, etc.

People were actually staring at us because we were in dresses. I don't like it when people stare, but that is one thing that I have had to get used to here in Spain. I just try to smile at them but occasionally, I feel tempted to ask them what they are staring at--but then I realize that to them we are somewhat of an oddity. They aren't accustomed to seeing it, and occasionally an elderly person will walk up to us and say how beautiful our girls look. It probably reminds them of the good old days!

No comments: