Monday, January 18, 2010

What We Can Learn from the Earthquake

"For thus saith the LORD of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land; And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts."Haggai 2:6-7, KJV

I have been watching video clips of the devastation in Haiti, and I cannot begin to imagine what the people of that country have been suffering. It made me think, what if an earthquake happened here in the Canary Islands?

I have experienced a few small earthquakes, the first was in Guadalajara, Mexico; it was related to a larger earthquake in Mexico City, perhaps one of the aftershocks. It was a very eerie feeling. We also had a small earthquake in Rochester NY, not very strong, but enough to know that the earth was moving beneath you. I believe my mom felt the same one in Ohio that day.

Sometimes we live as if every day is going to be the same, we take so much for granted. I was "complaining" in my heart Sunday that the kids had used the last bit of milk, not leaving me any for my coffee--and being Sunday most of the stores are closed, so it isn't a matter of just running out to the gas station and picking up a gallon of milk like you would in the states. But the thought occurred to me, I bet the people in Haiti would do anything for a cup of milk right now, or perhaps even just a bit of water, some food, and a comfortable place to sleep. As I was taking my shower, the water suddenly got cold--once again, I thought of the people of Haiti--and images that I had seen online, of kids bathing in what looked like a mud puddle to me, flashed through my mind. How could I complain about cold water from the shower, when millions in Haiti don't even have a home to take a bath?

Yes, we do take so much for granted. Lord, help me to be more thankful.

1 comment:

Jamie Parfitt said...

Good comments, Carolee.