Monday, April 26, 2010

Third Year Anniversary

Yesterday marked the third year anniversary of our arrival to the Canary Islands. I have such fond memories of the day we landed in Tenerife, greeted by our pastor friend, Jose Manuel and his wife Luisa. They were such a blessing to us when we first got here, helping us with our adjustment to the islands.

When we came Jenny and Hannah were still with us, and everything was an adventure. We had already rented an apartment that we found on the internet, so it was great having a place to call our home from the very start, even though we didn't have any furniture yet.

The first few months of being on the mission field is like a honey moon; every experience is new, but at the same time it was stressful. I recall going to the grocery store for the first time and being in shock at the prices and the packages so small. How would we ever afford to feed our family of six?

My prayer for the past few years was that the Lord would make this seem like home--something that can be difficult to achieve when living in a foreign land. The most difficult part is being apart from our older girls. When they were here, I never felt homesick, but after they left I missed them a lot. I am looking forward to this summer when once again they will be with us, but I can honestly say that the Lord is answering my prayer, and truly this is home.

No comments: