Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Saying Goodbye Never Gets Easier

Me and my son Nathan. He gave me a capulana, which is the traditional African dress. It is considered a custom of respect and honor to give a capulana as a gift, especially to your mother. I am thankful for such a fine and generous son.
Saying goodbye on our last day, in Nelspruit South Africa, where I caught the mini bus to Johannesburg.

Squatter camps in Johannesburg, South Africa.



Tuesday May 18th was the dreaded day when I had to say goodbye to my little grandkids, and Nathan and Emily. We had a great time together and made many memories. They took me to the bus stop in Nelspruit, where I boarded the Citibug van which took me to Johannesburg, a four hour ride through the beautiful mountains surrounding Nelspruit.

In Johannesburg, I made plans to meet with some missionary friends of ours who are working there. They picked me up at the airport and took me around the area where they have their church. Then they took me to see the squatter camps in the Johannesburg suburbs. It is absolutely unbelievable--you could never imagine living in such terrible conditions. Another thing that struck me is the crime--I read that there are over 50 murders a day in South Africa (some estimates are higher, as many crimes go unreported). I was thankful we don't have to deal with that in the Canary Islands.

My trip was very smooth, I made all my connections and my luggage even arrived. It seems like nearly everyone who comes to visit us here in Tenerife always arrive without their bags : ( .

Doug did a great job keeping house, playing "Mr. Mom" in my absence, but left just enough dust and sticky fingerprints in the kitchen to let me know that I am still very much needed. I am sure they had a major clean up day before my arrival.

Jenny and Hannah arrive on Tuesday, Lord willing. Please keep them in your prayers that they will have safe travels.

No comments: