Friday, August 20, 2010

"Driving" Me Crazy

Doug thought it would be a good idea to sign me up for driving school this summer. Jenny and Hannah were home, so they could babysit the younger girls while I was at school taking classes. Spain does not accept driving licenses from the United States, so you have to take a written exam, then pass a road test.

I have been driving since I was 16. My sophomore year in high school I took driver's ed for one sememster, then as soon as I had my 16th birthday I went to the bureau of motor vehicles and took my test. It was a piece of cake. Later on in life I even went on to get my commercial driver's license, which included taking a road test in a school bus and doing several types of obstacle coarses and parking between cones. Nothing I had ever done though compares to the tediousness of studying for Spanish driving school.

I have done nearly 60 computerized tests in Spanish, over and over again. They cover all aspects of driving, including road signs, signals, speeds, priority, etc. They also teach about car maintenance, safety, dangers of alcohol, emergency first aid, and defensive driving. I even have to learn about rules for motorcycles, mopeds, trucks, and bicycles. It is a very comprehensive course.

So, I study, study, study.......memorizing and going over everything. I have spent literally hours cramming facts and figures into my brain. I am still in the process of trying to get my Spanish license. So far this has consumed most of my summer. I am anxious to get this all behind me, and another part of me just wants to give up and say forget it! I really am not looking forward to driving a stick shift on all these mountain roads--it kind of scares me to be honest.

Then I think of my dear Grandma, who if I am not mistaken, waited until she was at least 50 years old to get her driver's license for the very first time. Her example motivates me to keep on trying, and not to quit!

No comments: