Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Changing Your Outlook


I often find myself battling negativity. I tell my husband that I am wired that way. I have to bring my thoughts into captivity, as the apostle Paul said. I call myself a "realist" and my husband on the other hand, is an optimist. He always sees the best in people, whereas I readily see their faults and want to protect myself from being hurt. He looks on the bright side, but I see the clouds and prepare for rain.

I am tempted to think that optimists have their head buried in the sand. There are so many problems, trials, and disappointments in life, this is reality. But if we dwell on them, we become depressed. The apostle Paul admonished us:
Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4: 8

Some would say that my husband and I balance each other out. I point out possible problems, concerns, dangers, etc. and he listens to my advice. He reminds me that there is always hope, something to be thankful for in every situation, and to have faith that God will work out everything in the end.

No comments: