Friday, December 31, 2010

Goodbye 2010, Welcome 2011!!

I can't believe it is already time to say goodbye to the year 2010. It is true, the older you get, the faster time goes by.
I had a good year overall, and am thankful for all the blessings we enjoyed. Here are a few of the highlights.

In February Amy and our grandson Joseph spent most of the month with us here in Tenerife. We enjoyed seeing her after being apart for nearly three years. We had never met Joseph. About half way through her visit Amy developed nausea and stomach upset. We worried that she ate something here in the islands, or that the water made her sick, but it wasn't anything serious, just something that would resolve itself in about nine months!

My mother's day gift in May was a trip to Mozambique, Africa to visit my son, Nathan, and his family. I never would have dreamed that I could take such a trip but my husband insisted. I was encouraged by one of my aunts who also reminded me that I should take measures to pinch pennies and save to make it possible. You can never recapture the days of your grandchildren's youth, and I think I would have regretted missing out on this stage of their lives. It also gave me a greater appreciation for the sacrifice they are making by living in Mozambique under less than perfect circumstances.

Shortly after I came home from Africa Jenny and Hannah flew home to the islands to spend their final summer with us. This was a real treat, as we knew it would be the last opportunity to have them living under our roof. We made great memories, and made plans to celebrate their upcoming marriages in a double ceremony at our home church in New York next July. A few weeks after their return to Fairhaven Baptist College, they were both officially engaged.

October was a difficult month for me as Doug was away in Mozambique--but it was born out of a desire I had for him to see the mission field where his son was laboring, and I had such a great time I wanted him to experience it as well. He had a good time renewing his father/son bond with Nathan, and playing with the grandkids as well. Nathan and Doug enjoyed ministering together and made a good team. We really missed Doug while he was away, but somehow managed but it was the longest month of the year. It gave me a greater appreciation for the single mothers in our church, and made me realize just how much I appreciate having a husband to share my life with.

November brought the addition of a new grandbaby, which brings our total to six. We are thankful for each one-- five boys, one girl--and we trust that number will be multiplied in the future as we see two more daughters marry.

With all the good times, of course there were difficult days, trials, and temptations. I can see the Lord's hand in all of them, as He continues to perfect that which concerneth me and our family. I am eager to see what the new year will bring as we look forward to our trip to the US and our daughters' wedding in July. We hope to visit as many of our supporting churches while we are in the states. Thank the Lord for His watchful care, His mercies, longsuffering, and grace as we begin the year 2011.

No comments: