Saturday, December 18, 2010

Holding What is Dear

Today I am holding my husband a little tighter and longer in a loving embrace. I realize after 28 years of marriage how much I love the man that God has given me--not that I didn't love him a lot before, but through the busy day to day hustle and bustle, we tend to take each other for granted.

I say this because this week a dear friend of mine lost her husband in a tragic accident. He was one of the best men I know--devoted husband, father of eight, church leader, and valued employee at his workplace. Everything a man should be and so much more.

He died being a good samaritan--he stopped to help a stranded motorist who had slid off the highway in a snowstorm when another car slid off the road and struck him. He was taken to the hospital unconscious and died 24 hours later. He was surrounded by his family and many dear friends. He leaves a void that will never be filled, but his death has served a greater purpose to make all of us reflect and consider his example.

Life is a vapor--and I hope I will continually be challenged to focus on the things in life that matter most.

2 comments:

Jamie Parfitt said...

I'm SO glad you are holding him tighter. That's what I want for all wives. Love, Jamie

Carolee's Corner Canary Islands said...

Thanks for your example Jamie. We think of you often.