Monday, January 3, 2011

"Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, faith looks up."

I don't know who said this, but there is an element of truth in it. As we begin a new year, I am reminded in my Bible reading to "forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before," Philippians 3: 13

We can learn from the past, but there is a point where you have to quit dwelling on it. We often look back and wish we could do things over again, but we can't. Of course we have regrets.....if only I had done this, things would have turned out differently. That is where we have to come to terms with the decisions that we have made in the past, and trust God to work them out for good. Sorrow is not productive and will only drag us down.

Worrying is not trusting God with your situation and not believing that He cares for you, promising to meet every need. We are commanded to cast our cares upon Him. When you are tempted to worry, turn it into prayer and supplication.

Worry cares what other people think. We often spend energy worrying about what others will think about us if we step out in faith and do what God commands us to do. It might not be a popular decision. Sometimes it even goes against what our social circles expect. If you live your life worrying about what others think you will never have the freedom to obey God fully.

Worry also lives in the world of "what if." What if this happens......My dad always cautioned me not to worry about the "what ifs" in life that will probably never happen. As a little girl, I worried our house would burn up in the middle of the night, or a tornado would hit us. I worried that I would go blind after watching a movie about Helen Keller. I had a wild imagination, and even now as an adult, as I get older I find myself worrying about the future, such as getting sick with cancer, losing a loved one, etc.

While those things do happen to people in real life, we have to trust that God will give us the grace to face the specific trial when we need it, and only then. We have to trust that the same God who brought us through all the yesterdays will give us the grace to face all the trials in our tomorrows. That is faith that looks up. It also includes hope. We have the promise that God will never leave or or forsake us. He will never give us more than we can handle, although at times we seem to collapse under the weight of our burdens. His grace is sufficient.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

"Casting all your care upon Him, for He careth for you." one of my favorites!