Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Could Volcanic Eruption In the Canary Islands Cause Next Tsunami?


Mt. Teide in the background


In light of the recent tragedies in Japan, I have been thinking about the risks of living on an island and how vunerable we are to being swallowed up by the Atlantic Ocean that surrounds us. I did a google search and found that in 2004 there were several small earthquakes on our island of Tenerife, and that Mt. Teide, the volcano that towers over our island (which is the third largest in the world, and highest point in Spain), erupts approximately every 100 years, and we are overdue since the last one was in 1909.

There is another scientific prediction that if there is a volcanic eruption on the island of La Palma (our neighboring island) it would cause a huge landslide-- a large chunk of volcanic land mass could very easily fall off the island, causing a huge tsunami or tidal wave that would hit the east coast causing mass devastation. Am I worried? No, I don't lose any sleep over it, as I know that God is in control and that my life is in His hands.

No comments: