Sunday, April 22, 2012

Depending on God

As Christians we have often been accused as being weak for needing God--that we use Him as a "crutch" because we can't deal with life and the problems we face. Some have gone as far as calling religion an "opiate" of the people, something we use to cope with life because we can't deal with reality.

I feel sorry for the person who is living their life without God. As I wake up each morning, I see His hand in creation, the glories of the sunrise, the birds singing, the flowers in my garden. I read about His goodness and mercy in my Bible, and am encouraged. Sure, I have trials and temptations, just like everyone else--but I often wonder how the person without God gets through life without Him. What joys they are missing!

The Bible tells us the fool hath said in his heart, there is no God. It is not intelligience that will keep you from seeking a relationship with God, but rather pride. Saying, I don't need God because I can handle it on my own is rather foolish. Every breath we take is a gift from God. Do you really want to die without God? Perhaps you have convinced yourself that the Bible is a good book, but only a good book--but what if you are wrong? Have you considered what happens after you die? Is there a small chance that you could be wrong, and the Bible is true? I wouldn't want to die without God and be separated from Him for eternity. If you have chosen to ignore God and make your own set of beliefs (everyone believes something) then God will give you exactly what you have asked for--He will not force himself upon anyone.

No one ever told me that the Bible was different than any other book ever written--somehow I knew it in my heart and it was sacred to me. It is powerful, and can change your life. Don't worry about the parts you can't understand--focus on the parts you do understand. If you seek God you will find Him--because He is standing at the door of your heart and would like to come in and have fellowship with you.

No comments: