Saturday, August 11, 2012

August Update

If I need an excuse for why I haven't updated my blog I will blame the heat......I know that is a poor excuse but somehow hot weather diminishes my motivation. As in many parts of Spain, we are having a hot, dry summer with a lot of calima (sand storms from the Sahara desert which blow over the Canary Islands.)

June and July brought several blessings--the birth of two grandchildren--our son's family in Mozambique welcomed their fourth child, and our daughter Hannah and son-in-law David welcomed their first baby in July. We are looking forward to two more on the way; Amy and Greg are having their first daughter in October (to add to their three boys) and Jenny and Michael are expecting around Thanksgiving. I am collecting our credit card points in hopes of  earning a free/inexpensive airplane ticket so I can meet some of my new grand babies.

We were busy looking for a school for Rebekah and Leanna during July as we will have to put them in school for the time being. We hope this is only temporary and can continue home schooling at some time in the future. We found a bilingual school and half of their classes will be taught in English, and the other half in Spanish. It will be a major change in our schedule as they will be in school from 8 am til 4:30 pm. The Spanish have a long break in the afternoon for lunch, 1.5 hours--and they serve the large meal of the day in the school cafeteria. If you stay on the premises they require that you purchase the school food (no sack lunches) and we live too far away for them to come home. I hope the girls like the Spanish/Canary Island food. At home we eat American style--so this will take a bit of getting used to on their part. I imagine if you are hungry enough anything will taste good!

We are thankful for many visitors at our church in San Isidro the past several weeks. It is always encouraging to have new people come. Rebekah is doing a good job as our church pianist, and on occasion I play my flute with her for special music. Leanna is also studying piano, and is looking forward to the day when she can play in church as well.

That brings us up to date. I hope you are having a blessed summer as well.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Great to hear an update! Good job Rebekah for being the church pianist :)

Victoria said...

I hope you'll be able to visit all of your grandbabies while they're still babies!! Always a blessing to hear when a baby is born, but when it means a godly family is carrying on, it's even more precious.

Jamie Parfitt said...

We were discussing yesterday whether either of the girls played an instrument. Which one will take up flute? :-)