Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Simple Life Lessons


As a child, do you remember things your parents used to tell you over and over again?  Here are a few things I can remember my dad saying to me as a child.

1. I am teaching you how to work. It builds character and you will thank me someday. Don't be lazy and don't procrastinate.

2. Don't complain. It makes the job harder.

3. Don't jump to conclusions or read into things.

4. Don't blow your money--save some for a rainy day or something of greater value. Don't give your kids everything they want, make them work and save for it.

5. Don't be so sensitive. Learn to laugh at yourself.

6. Don't worry about what others think or say about you. Let it roll off your back like water on a duck.

7. Don't be afraid to speak up. Look at someone in the eye when talking to them.

8. If a man truly loves you, he will wait til marriage.

9. When you do a job, do more than what is expected--even when you think the boss isn't watching. Even the little things, like moving the furniture when you sweep--don't just do the bare minimum. Don't just stand around when you finish the task--look for something to do to keep busy. Employers take notice of people who can work on their own and do things without being told.

10. If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all.

2 comments:

Sherry Quatro said...

These lessons are almost immortal! I remember hearing some of the same things, and I have taught almost the same things to my children (although they have not "learned" them yet...maybe when they get older)

Jamie Parfitt said...

Sadly, I still don't understand what "laugh at yourself" means. I wish I could read a book about just that one topic.