Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What's Stirring in Your Pot?




It is our custom to wake up early, drink a cup of coffee, and have our quiet time in the living room before we start the day. It is also a time of sharing for my husband and me, as once the day's activities begin, we go our separate directions-- so it is our time to talk about what is going on in the world, our ministry, our ideas, etc.

My  unrenewed, still half asleep mind  tends to gravitate to problems, the faults of others, and things that aggravate me about living in a foreign country--and how to solve them. It can be anything, from not liking the way people drive here, to why there is so much unemployment in Spain and the Canary Islands and the way the government operates, or why people don't seem to want anything to do with the Lord, especially since He is so good and wants to bless their lives, or concerns with family and people in the ministry and church.

 As wives and home makers, we can choose the menu, so to speak, by deciding which ingredients will go into the pot. We can stir up our husbands in a bad way, such as Jezebel in 1 Kings 21:24-26

"But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the Lord, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up."

 Like Jezebel, if I am not careful, I can drag myself and my husband down first thing in the morning by bringing up negativity. I "stir" the pot so to speak. We live in a world where many bad things are happening and there is much evil.

We try to make a difference in the world by sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ, but it seems like people just aren't listening and are so indifferent. We teach the principles of how to live a successful, victorious life in Christ to young believers, and sometimes growth is slow, or they make unwise decisions that lead them astray and we take it to heart and feel discouraged. My husband is my closest confidante, and a  patient listener, but even he can grow weary of  "rehashed" leftovers.
If we allow negative emotions, thoughts, and attitudes to simmer and stew in our mind, naturally that is what will come out of our "pot."

"Hatred stirreth up strifes..."Proverbs 10:12

"... grievous words stir up anger." Proverbs 15:1


 "An angry man stirreth up strife..." Proverbs 29:22

In a positive manner, we are encouraged to ".... stir up the gift of God..... 2 Timothy 1: 6;
... stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:" 2 Peter 3:1

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:7


As I grow in Christ, I need God to fill  and stir up my pot with the ingredients of forgiveness instead of anger, humility rather than pride,  and faith in place of fear. If these things be in me, then I will yield the peaceable fruit of righteousness.








1 comment:

Jamie Parfitt said...

Yes, Carolee! Great observation. We as wives can actually "prepare" for our morning talk with our husbands by asking the Lord to show us what topics would bless our husbands and strengthen them for that day. Thanks for bringing that up! There were times I delayed Ken going to work (not my intent, but how it worked out) because for some reason I chose to bring up a school or child-training problem just as he was saying goodbye. Talk about wishing I could do it all over again correctly! You have such good insights.