Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Sailing too Close to the Shore

I am blessed to live less than 10 minutes from the ocean. I have often sat on the rocks and watched the waves pound the shore. It is mesmerizing. I often meditate on the power of God and the glory of His creation.

Today I realized that my eyes were fixed on the shore, the waves rolling in hitting the rocks but I rarely lifted my to eyes to the horizon. I wondered what I might be missing. Perhaps I might see some whale or dolphin jumping out in the distant waters. Perhaps there would be some hidden blessing out there awaiting my gaze. I looked out and pondered what God might be trying to teach me in this quiet moment and it occurred to me what a big ocean it is--and how we are just a small part of His big plan.

I thought about those who ventured beyond their native lands to discover new worlds, who bravely chartered new waters and explored the earth. I am not a risk taker, and prefer to cling safely to the shore. I would not be one inclined to leave the calm waters to launch out into the deep ocean.

Sometimes in life we are forced beyond our comfort zone. God puts us in situations where we must try new things, go to new places, and leave the security of the shore. Of course there are dangers, risks, and disappointments along the way but God promises His children that He will never leave us or forsake us.

No comments: