Sunday, December 13, 2015

Words of Wisdom

I recently saw a Facebook post on a friend's timeline that made me think. It said, "You don't own all the problems in the world." It was a poster with seven rules for life.

It reminded me to stop worrying about things you have no control over. Sure, we can pray for people, their situations, and try to bear each others burdens, but there comes a point where we have to leave things in the hands of God. Watching the evening news was dragging me down as I found myself contemplating all the world's problems.

I am an empathetic person--I feel the pain of others. That can be a good thing, to a point, but when you find yourself overwhelmed with care it can rob your joy. As long as we live in this world there is going to be human suffering, sickness, pain, loss, death, injustice, and on it goes. I firmly believe we are to weep with them that weep, but the Bible also says to rejoice with them that do rejoice. Like everything else in life, there is a balance.

No comments: